These virtual races have been designed for running in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Individuals who choose to make use of the resources on this website take full responsibility for their own safety (routes, hazards, weather conditions, personal safety etc.) and compliance with the latest government guidance.
|Distance||10km (typical value)|
|Elevation (total climb)||266m (typical value)|
|Dates run||23rd August -12th September 2021|
Submit times by 14th September
|Race designer||Sid Fletcher (co-starring Katelyn McKeown)|
Ok folks – the end of Season 3 is finally upon us. All hail the beast of the South East – This is the Hollinsend!
This final route links Cath’s Shirebrook Shimmy with some bits of the Gleadless Valley Gallop. It’s nice and simple – a checkpoint only circular route.
The start and end point is Gleadless Valley’s iconic “Holy Cross” church. Please follow the checkpoints in order – these are designed to get you to the off-the-beaten-track points on the route.
In true NTCLC spirit there are a few corners to be cut. Naturally it’s up to you guys to work them out and of course there are many Strava segments to be nabbed along the way.
Keeping with the other challenging routes of the season there is a mixture of terrain: road, trail, muddy bits, wooded heathland and not forgetting brutalist architecture and residential for good measure. You’ll also be pleased to note the wonderful gradient from Holy Cross to Bathtub (No matter what route you take ) – certainly gets the blood flowing .
Enjoy yourselves out there folks (disclaimer – at your own risk/peril)
Checkpoints – What Three Words
- Start/The End – HOLY CROSS GLEADLESS VALLEY store.alien.monks
- CP1 – SHIREBROOK BATHTUB – folds.cool.shield
- CP2 – HIDDEN SPORT COURT – flips.decks.lamps
- CP3 – FOX LANE SALT BIN – coast.rats.swung
- CP4 – FRECHEVILLE POND – update.rank.remain
- CP5 – JACK IN THE BOX – chair.truck.inches
- CP6 – WICKFIELD HEATH BENCH – edit.comb.hammer
- CP7 – TREE OF NO LIFE – take.career.finest
- CP8 – STEELERS SPORTS BAR – smart.regard.offer
- CP9 – HURLFIELD LANE CROSSROADS – share.inspector.trails
One possible route…
- This is the Hollinsend- Gleadless road
- This is the Hollinsend- sneaky short cut
- This is the Hollinsend- Red Lion to Sports court
- This is the Hollinsend- Bathtub to Centre Spot
- This is the Hollinsend- Centre Spot to Sports court
- This is the Hollinsend- Sports court to salt bin
- This is the Hollinsend- salt bin to pond
- This is the Hollinsend- Pond to Silkstone ravine
- This is the Hollinsend-Clubhouse to Holy Cross
- This is the Hollinsend- Clubhouse to ring road
- This is the Hollinsend- Hurlfield
- Up Chatsworth Park Road
- Hollinsend Park Dash
- Hollinsend Road to Townend
- To Hollinsend Road
- Gleadless Road Sprint
50 points for fastest time. Everyone else gets a percentage – if the winning time is 1 hour and you take 2 hours, you get 25 points. Plus a 5 point bonus for collecting some rubbish either on a recce or the race.
This race is now finished, but you’re welcome to run it for fun.
All Time Course Personal Bests (PBs)
You can still submit your time to this website if you’d like to see your time recorded alongside everyone else’s – use the link in the right-hand sidebar. If you’ve run this course as part of the NTCLCGP race series your time should already be there.